Hester Davis Arkansas Archeological Society Training Program Scholarship
This scholarship applies to the Joint Annual Arkansas Archeological Society & Archeological Survey Training Program only. We do not fund other field schools.
Arkansas Archeological Society members 18 and older, who are currently enrolled in college or graduate school and who are majoring, or planning to major, in archeology, anthropology, or a related field (e.g., cultural studies, museum studies, geography, etc.) are eligible to apply for scholarship support. Rising freshmen, or recent college graduates who will be enrolling in a graduate program in the next academic year, are also eligible. To apply, please submit the following:
· A completed Training Program Application listing your expenses (note: T-shirts are not included in this grant). We pay registration, Certification fee (if applicable – this is a one-time fee), camping fee for one person, and electricity (if used). We will fund a $100 stipend for food and gas for one week applicants and $150 stipend for two week applicants. Visit http://www.arkarch.org/ for a Training Program application (Available March 1). You will need to print out your application – do not submit through the website. It must be printed and mailed or scanned and sent by e-mail.
· Statement of Interest (1-2 pages) describing your interest in archaeology, future education and career plans, and why the Training Program will benefit you as you work towards your goals. Applicants should indicate if they wish to attend one or two weeks of the training program. Please include discussion of any classes you will attend and how these classes will help you attain your goals. Our Training Program is often applicable to college credit hours – check with your advisor.
· One letter of reference from a professor or instructor which may be mailed or emailed separately by your professor or instructor to address below.
· A list of college courses and other relevant training you have taken. Indicate where and when.
· You must be a member of the Arkansas Archeological Society to be awarded funds. You may join at any time on the website.
· The number of scholarships awarded will be limited to the annual amount of interest from which the scholarship funds are drawn.
· Applications are accepted March 1st through March 31st for the following June Training Program and must be post marked accordingly to be accepted.
· Scholarship applications must be postmarked by the last day of March for the following June Training Program. All items requested must either be on paper and mailed, or scanned and sent electronically to the contact below.
Arkansas Archeological Society
ATTN: Training Program Scholarship
2475 N. Hatch Ave.
Fayetteville, AR 72704
Telephone: (479) 575-3556 (Marilyn Knapp)